Thursday, May 5, 2011

Family Vacations and Travels

I am going to post a photo and a story from travels in my history into the past.  I am going to start in the past that so new that it is still in the present. Until I get to Maine for a visit, it will likely that my photos will be more recent.  When I go to Maine, I will break out the family albums and the scanner.  There will be some revenge on relatives in the form of facebook tag.

Last weekend I went to NYC.  I have lived in Albany for 20 months and have yet to be in the city.  I am not a fan of Albany.  While I had been to NYC twice, I have not been there properly since I moved to Albany 20 months ago, except for a BBQ in Queens.  I wanted to get out of Albany, so Bryon and I took a day trip down to NYC.  We drove down to Croton-Harmon and took the Metroland North into Grand Central.


Old Glory


We then went to Rockefeller Center


We went to the Top of the Rock


We went to Canal Street but I did not take pictures.  Canal Street was a fun and overwhelming experience.  We then went to McSorleys.  McSorleys are amazing.  It has been in continuous operation for over 150 years and they haven't changed a thing.  You can only order beer in even numbers and there are only two kinds, light and dark.  

Enjoying a dark beer.  Light beer is good but dark is better.


This is the wishbone collection.  Urban legend has it that during WWI and WWII soldiers would leave a wishbone when they left and took it down when they returned.  The wishbones up there represent the soldiers that did not make it home.


After McSorleys, Bryon had the great idea to take Tipsy Kerry to a dish store called FishsEddy.  It was awesome.  Lots of random dishes.  Surprisingly I did not break anything nor spend lots of money.





We then went to Little Italy and had Vodka Pizza and Cannolli.  Bryon then took me to a Five Guys (I was saying "NO MORE FOOD.") and in the back of the Five Guys was a staircase with a secret bar.  Here is a view from Bleeker Heights Tavern.


No comments:

Post a Comment